Actually, there is no pass or fail mark in the IELTS test. Test candidates have their own target scores which are set by the companies they are applying for or set by themselves. Many who fail to reach the required score will have to retake the examination again. Because of this, a lot of IELTS test candidates are wondering what they have to do or learn for them to pass the IELTS test.
Passing the IELTS test will need time and effort. Learning the English language does not happen in a day. One must be ready to undergo IELTS training through an effective IELTS review to pass the test. Here are some simple yet effective tips on how to ace your IELTS examination.
- Have a concrete plan of action. A two to three months preparation for the examination is ideal. Some candidates would even have their review for more than six months to ensure that they have acquired and developed their English skills well. By creating a timetable, you will have an overview on what to do before the exam day.
- Gather enough review materials. Reviewers and study manuals are all available in different bookstores. Further, there are a lot of websites that offer free IELTS review materials. This is best for those people who want to have IELTS training on their own as a supplementary activity with their reviews in IELTS review centers.
- Learn a lot of English vocabulary. Filipinos are more familiar with American English words. With the IELTS, it is more beneficial to learn Australian or British English vocabulary. Some vocabulary might surprise you because of unfamiliarity. For example, British English uses the word “lift” to refer to elevators.
- Familiarize Australian and British accents. Like what is mentioned earlier, these two are commonly used in the IELTS test. Getting familiar with how words are pronounced in these accents are a big help during the exam. You might have problems understanding the words since they are pronounced differently.
- Review on your grammar. Speaking and writing responses should bear both good content and grammar. There are times that responses are logical, yet the meaning is obscured because of grammatical errors. The best thing to do is to review on the common grammar rules on subject and verb agreement, pluralization of nouns and even verb tenses.
- Find a speaking partner. Speaking partners are recommended to have someone evaluate your speaking skills. They provide feedback and comments that guide your responses to become better and more intelligent. Also, speaking partners practice your confidence in communicating with someone face-to-face.
- Seek every opportunity to learn English. If there is one advice coaches give their students, it is to use English every day. Using the English language is small talks is already a good practice and exposure that leads to being comfortable in using the language.
Passing the IELTS exam with the highest quality of IELTS review is possible with IELTS training. What candidates must always do is to expose themselves to the English language and constantly practice to be better users of English.